Revised: January 30, 2016
Information we Collect About You
Generally. We may collect information that can identify you such as your name and email address ("personal information") and other information that does not identify you. We may collect this information through a website or a mobile application. When you provide personal information through ou website, the information may be sent to servers located in the United States and other countries around the world.
- Information you provide. We may collect and store any personal information you enter on our website or provide to us in some other manner. This includes identifying information, such as your name, address, email address, and telephone number, and, if you transact business with us, financial information such as your payment method (valid credit card number, type, expiration date or other financial information). We also request information about your interests and activities, your gender and age, and other demographic information such as your hometown or your username.
- Information about others. We may collect and store personal information about other people that you provide to us, such as their name, address and email address. If you use our website to initiate connection requests using email addresses or telephone numbers, we may store your personal information, and the personal information of each such recipient in order to process those requests or facilitate future activities.
- Information collected automatically. We automatically collect information from your browser or device when you visit our website or application. This information could include your IP address, device ID, your browser type and language, access times, the content of any undeleted cookies that your browser previously accepted from us, and the referring website address.
- Cookies and Use of Cookie Data. When you visit our website or application, we may assign your device one or more cookies, to facilitate access to our site and to personalize your online experience. Through the use of a cookie, we also may automatically collect information about your online activity on our site, such as the web pages you visit, the time and date of your visits, the links you click, and the searches you conduct on our site. Most browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies. If you choose to decline cookies, please note that you may not be able to sign in or use some of the interactive features offered on our website.
- Other Technologies. We may use standard Internet technology, such as web beacons and other similar technologies, to track your use of our site. We also may include web beacons in email messages to determine whether messages have been opened and acted upon. The information we obtain in this manner enables us to customize the services we offer our website visitors and to measure the overall effectiveness of our content, programming or other activities.
How we use the Information we Collect
Generally. We may use information that we collect about you to:
- deliver our products and services, and manage our business;
- manage your account and provide you with customer support;
- perform research and analysis about your use of, or interest in, our products, services, or content, or products, services or content offered by others;
- communicate with you by email, postal mail, telephone and/or mobile devices about products or services that may be of interest to you either from us or other third parties;
- perform ad tracking and website or mobile application analytics;
- enforce or exercise any rights in our terms and conditions; and
- perform functions as otherwise described to you at the time of collection.
Financial information. We may use financial information or payment method to process payment for any purchases made on our website, to protect against or identify possible fraudulent transactions, and otherwise as needed to manage our business.
Job applicants. If your personal information is submitted through our website when applying for a position with our company, the information will be used solely in connection with considering and acting upon your application. We may retain your personal information for a period of time, but only for the purpose of considering your application for current or future available positions. This information, which may include your name and contact information, prior education and experience, and other information you provided to us, may be shared with other Smart Communications affiliated companies for the purpose of evaluating your qualifications for the particular position or other available positions, as well as with third-party service providers retained by us to collect, maintain and analyze candidate submissions for job postings.
In all circumstances, we may perform these functions directly or use a third party vendor to perform these functions on our behalf who will be obligated to use your personal information only to perform services for us. Also, if you access our website or mobile applications from a third party social platform, such as Facebook, we may share non-personal information with that platform to the extent permitted by your agreement with it and its privacy settings.
With Whom we Share Your Information
Personal information. We do not share your personal information with others except as indicated below or when we inform you and give you an opportunity to opt out of having your personal information shared. We may share personal information with:
- Service providers: We may share information, including personal information, with third parties that perform certain services on our behalf. These services may include fulfilling orders, providing customer service and marketing assistance, performing business and sales analysis, ad tracking and analytics, member screenings, supporting our website functionality, and supporting contests, sweepstakes, surveys and other features offered through our site. We may also share your name, contact information and credit card information with our service providers who process credit card payments. These service providers may have access to personal information needed to perform their functions but are not permitted to share or use such information for any other purposes.
- Correctional Facilities: When you connect with an incarcerated individual at one of the correctional facilities that provide our services to those in their custody, we may share information with that correctional facility, including personal information, partial financial information (excluding your full credit card number and card security code), and the contents of and metadata about any correspondance, photos, or other materials that you send to the incarcerated individual. Those who have been screened and approved for Professional accounts (e.g. attorneys) are exempt from having their information and contents shared with correctional facilities (to maintain attorney-client privilege). Using a personal account for professional activities is prohibited by our Terms of Service and is a reckless violation of attorney-client privilege. Any messages or photographs sent through our service by personal accounts are subject to monitoring and review by staff at correctional facilities, and there is no expectation of privacy regarding these messages or photographs.
- Other Situations. We also may disclose your information, including personal information:
- In response to a subpoena or similar investigative demand, a court order, or a request for cooperation from a law enforcement or other government agency; to establish or exercise our legal rights; to defend against legal claims; or as otherwise required by law. In such cases, we may raise or waive any legal objection or right available to us.
- When we believe disclosure is appropriate in connection with efforts to investigate, prevent, or take other action regarding illegal activity, suspected fraud or other wrongdoing; to protect and defend the rights, property or safety of our company, our users, our employees, or others; to comply with applicable law or cooperate with law enforcement; or to enforce our website terms and conditions or other agreements or policies.
- In connection with a substantial corporate transaction, such as the sale of our business, a divestiture, merger, consolidation, or asset sale, or in the unlikely event of bankruptcy.
Aggregated and/or non-personal information. We may share non-personal information we collect under any of the above circumstances. We also may share aggregated, non-personal information, or personal information in hashed, non-human readable form, with third parties, including advisors, advertisers and investors, for the purpose of conducting general business analysis or other business purposes. For example, we may engage a data provider who may collect web log data from you (including IP address and information about your browser or operating system), or place or recognize a unique cookie on your browser to enable you to receive customized ads or content. The cookies may reflect de-identified demographic or other data linked to data you voluntarily have submitted to us (such as your email address), that we may share with a data provider solely in hashed, non-human readable form.
Do Not Track Disclosure
Do Not Track ("DNT") is a privacy preference that users can set in their web browsers. DNT is a way for users to inform websites and services that they do not want certain information about their webpage visits collected over time and across websites or online services. We do not recognize or respond to any DNT signals as the Internet industry works toward defining exactly what DNT means, what it means to comply with DNT, and a common approach to responding to DNT.
How you can Access Your Information
Your Choices About Collection and Use of Your Information
- You can choose not to provide us with certain information, but that may result in you being unable to use certain features of our site because such information may be required in order for you to register as a member; purchase products or services; participate in a contest, promotion, survey, or sweepstakes; or initiate other transactions.
- When you register on our site, you consent to receive email messages from us. You may modify this consent later by visiting the "My Account" page associated with your account. You also will be given the opportunity, in any commercial email that we send to you, to opt out of receiving such messages in the future. It may take up to 10 days for us to process an opt-out request. We may send you transactional and relationship emails, such as service announcements, administrative notices, and surveys, without offering you the opportunity to opt out of receiving them. Please note that changing information in your account, or otherwise opting out of receipt of promotional email communications, will only affect future activities or communications from us. If we have already provided your information to a third party (such as a service provider) before you have changed your preferences or updated your information, you may have to change your preferences directly with that third party.
- Our applications may also deliver notifications to your phone or mobile device. You can disable these notifications in your device’s settings in your SmartJailMail.com account under "My Account" or by deleting the relevant application.
How we Protect Your Personal Information
We take appropriate security measures (including physical, electronic and procedural measures) to help safeguard your personal information from unauthorized access and disclosure. We want you to feel confident using our website to transact business. However, no system can be completely secure. Therefore, although we take steps to secure your information, we do not promise, and you should not expect, that your personal information, searches, or other communications will always remain secure. Users should also take care with how they handle and disclose their personal information and should avoid sending personal information through standard Internet email. Please refer to the Federal Trade Commission's website at http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/ for information about how to protect yourself against identity theft.
Information you Provide About Yourself While Using our Service
We provide areas on our site where you can post information about yourself and others and communicate with others or upload content such as photographs. Such postings are governed by our Terms of Service. In addition, such postings may appear to correctional facilities or when searches are executed on the subject of your posting. When sending a message, photograph, or other content to an incarcerated individual, we cannot control what that individual may do with the information you voluntarily send to them, or who they will share it with, so we encourage you to exercise discretion and caution with respect to your personal information.
Although our website is a general audience site, only individuals age 18 and above may register as members. Use of the website is permitted by those under the age of 18 when authorized and supervised by a registered member. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13.
Visiting our Websites From Outside the United States
No Rights of Third Parties
How to Contact Us
Smart Communications Holdings, Inc.
4522 W North B St.
Tampa, FL 33609
Online Contact Form